Friday 22 October 2021

Breyer Traditional Don't Look Twice

Another second-hand model to introduce today, she arrived earlier this week but now we're into autumn the sun doesn't get into my garden before or after work, so I had to wait til a day off to catch the little two-hour period when it's risen high enough to pose my models in a patch of sunshine!


This is Breyer's 1:9 scale model of famous Quarter Horse mare, Don't Look Twice. This first photo is probably the most accurate for how her colour looks, the others have come out a little more sandy when in hand she seems deep red.


She was released back in 2015, which is why I never bought her at the time - I knew I was going to be made redundant toward the end of that year, so I'd cut back on spending to the bare minimum, so I'd have savings incase I couldn't get another job. Luckily I found somewhere pretty quickly and started the following spring, and have been settled working here ever since. So I've been slowly catching up with models released during my 'missing' year of no collecting.


I've named her Cinnamon Roll, because I've got another QH mare (same scale, different brand) who's a very similar colour and she's called Cinnamon, so it makes a family connection for my model herd, and suits this one's sweet gentle face - she just looks like a horse who might get described as a cinnamon roll, hahah!


She was listed on ebay for about £15 less than current 'new' price for Breyers this size, and she's in perfect condition, no marks or rubs or signs of wear and tear, so I think I was lucky and grabbed a bargain!


I don't have any others in this mould yet, but I do quite like Chocolatey the appaloosa they released on it this year, so I think it's fairly likely she won't stay the only one in my collection for very long


It's always nice when a paintjob design is copied from a real horse, not only because it's interesting to read up about that individual's story and compare the model to the real thing, but it pushes the company to figure out ways of adding different details or markings which they might never have thought of putting on a regular run in a randomly chosen colour. 
The real Don't Look Twice has got the rabicano pattern roaning (the speckles on her flank, and pale barring marks on her side and the top of her tail), as well as white 'lipstick' markings on her mouth, and they've copied all that into her paintwork.


They also gave her brown eyes!
I'm so puzzled and intrigued when these happen for regular runs. In almost all cases, Traditional scale Breyers have glossy black eyes, often with the line of pink or white to give them the 'eyewhites' which show when a horse is looking in a certain direction. But every now and then, for certain runs they add in the iris colour of brown or blue too, and there just doesn't seem to be any logic in which horses get them!
I'd understand if they only did it for the expensive and exclusive special runs, which you have to be a club member and sometimes also need to win a lottery-style draw to even be allowed to buy, at high prices - then it would be a neat added level of detail, to reward people who want to spend more money on models. 
But very occasionally, they randomly decide to put eye colours onto one of these standard regular runs, mass produced in thousands and thousands, and sold worldwide, just at normal price and everywhere that stocks Breyers.
Out of all my regular run models, only about five have had eye colours, so it was a fun surprise to unwrap her and find I'd got one more with this lovely extra detail!

No comments:

Post a Comment