Monday 19 April 2021

A boxful of Mojo Fun

I ticked some more Mojo Fun models off my wishlist this week, look in this exciting box!


They came from Mojo themselves via their ebay shop; this is the cheapest and best way to buy them for UK collectors, and the customer service is perfection so I'd really recommend buying direct if you're wondering where you can get these from over here!

Let's get them all out...


I've wanted the fjord for ages, yeeeears, but never managed to get round to ordering it for various reasons, so it was about time I added one to my herd, and it was really worth the wait! The colour's really subtle, a lot of model fjords are either very bright yellow or don't have much shading, but I love the paler dun here.


This is, amazingly, my first grazing model. I really like the casual off-duty kinds of poses for model horses, rare though they are - things like head-down dozing, or resting with one hind leg cocked, and this adds one more relaxed attitude to enjoy.


I think my favourite thing about the whole sculpt is the little 'break' in the mane where the spiky upright hair follows the bend in the neck!


The Dutch warmblood, another crisp and accurate sculpt with good slim legs and nice conformation. The colour's a bit plain (especially compared to my recent WIA warmblood, but maybe it's not fair to make him stand next to that one!), but I like how the white socks have crooked tops, when so many models are painted with less attention to realistic marking shapes; or worse, given airbrushed fuzzy ones!


The Suffolk Punch mare, a rare breed we don't really have that many representations of in model form, either. And this one's a really nice example, with her kind expression and good chunky build. They even managed a well toned chestnut, rather than overly orange or too brown, a colour which can be really hard to capture in plastic form.


And she HAD to bring her foal along too, look at this sweet little sculpt!


Here's how they look together; scaled just right to work as a pair, it wouldn't have been fair to split them!


The thoroughbred, like the dutch warmblood, is another model which really showcases how Mojo get long-legged athletic breeds right. So many TB or sport horse moulds in the toy-type brands like Schleich or Bullyland have such squat chunky legs they look like heavy warmbloods or draft crosses, even the previously wonderful CollectA are giving everything thick legs now. So even though the Mojo TB is a bit on the sturdy side (I'd imagine him as a chaser or eventer, rather than a flat-bred horse), it's just nice to see slim legs at all!


The Hanoverian came in two colour options, black with white socks, or this bay, which I decided to go for because colours show mould detail and contours better than black in photos. And because they used dark shading over a soft brown plastic, it looks plenty different enough to the other two bays in the parcel, which use a much redder base plastic.


Another angle - doesn't she have a kind face. I think she's quite a petite-looking horse, maybe because her plaits are quite big giving her the look of a pony rather than a huge dressage warmblood. Her sculptor says a lot of people allocate German Riding Pony as an alternative to the Hanoverian she was sold as, I think I'll go with that.


Another zebra for my collection! It's an adorable mould, which seems the ideal mix of realism and cuteness - the CollectA zebra looks very serious, this one's somehow happier and more relaxed. I picture her as a tame zebra in a safari park, who comes to the gate for snacks and likes a good scratch from a keeper.

And what's this?

I just couldn't resist adding the foal to my order too, they needed to arrive together!


The little one's all legs, and even has some baby fluff along the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment