Saturday 13 June 2020

Breyerfest Drum Horse

Last week, I treated myself to a second hand buy on Ebay, a 2012 Breyerfest special run I've wanted ever since they first revealed him : Mariah's Boon. And I've got a way to get round my pictures not working on New Blogger (thanks for the tip!), even though the upload gallery function, uh, doesn't, and the images can't be moved around the page any more, so I can introduce him straight away as long as I'm careful with where the pictures drop in!


Big hairy patchy thing, what's not to love! 
As well as several solid colours on this mould, I've already got the skewbald who was part of the Treasure Hunt series a while back, but it's great to add another to my herd. It's quite fitting that he arrived just in time for the weekend that would've seen a drum horse in action for Trooping the Colour any other year. I haven't managed to name him yet, but something imposing and noble seems a must!


The real Mariah's Boon is an American Drum Horse, which is more an official label for a cross-bred type rather than a long-standing breed, being made from a mix between shires, clydesdales, and the bigger piebald and skewbald cobs. The website does acknowledge that they're "working to bring this horse from type to breed", rather than claiming it's a breed already like the marketing-mad 'vanner' people! 
The actually-in-the-cavalry drum horses over here aren't a breed of their own, either : some are purebred shire or clydesdale, while others are partbreds that come with that iconic tobiano colour we'd all imagine first if told to think of a drum horse, though of course there's been plainer solid colours and sabino roans too. I've been lucky enough to meet the recent drum horses backstage multiple times, and been licked and pestered for carrots as well as seeing them on official duty when they accompany the musical ride.


What a spectacular mane! I also like the little dark spots on his muzzle, and here, look closely...

 

Yes, two different coloured eyes! Not many regular run models seem to get eye colours (off hand, I remember Bryant's Jake having one blue eye, and the miniature horse Magic had two, while Voyeur from last year had pale brown ones) but the Breyerfest models seem more likely to have that extra bit of detail. 
He's signed underneath by the real horse's owner, who's put her own name and Boon's too, which is quite sweet - the original buyer of this one must've met them in person at Breyerfest that year.

No comments:

Post a Comment