Wednesday 3 June 2020

Breyer Stable Surprise sets

Another little parcel of horses I've had tucked away saved for a while, and opened this weekend - the full set of 2020's four Stable Surprise sets, each contaning one adult and one foal.

These were intended to be sold as a lucky dip sealed mystery box, kind of like the Stablemate blind bags, an idea I didn't mind when they announced it because retailing at about £9 per box, and me being into customising, it wasn't too great an expense if I ended up with duplicates - they were all moulds I like, I could happily repaint the doubles.
But a few weeks ago a seller listed opened boxes on Ebay, and I reasoned that by paying just £1 more per set, I'd know I was getting one of each, and not having to spend out on ordering multiple extra sets til I'd collected all four - especially as I'm minimising my buying while the pandemic continues, to avoid giving the postman too much unneccessary stuff to deal with. Oddly enough, the seller upped their price right after I'd bought and paid for my four, so perhaps they decided they weren't charging quite enough for the privilege of being able to choose your horses!


First up, the Icelandic horse set. Lovely speckly red-chestnut roan stallion, who comes with a solid black foal, which although nice, seems a bit of a mismatch as it's rather big for what is a pony sized breed, and the colour's not related in the slightest!


I've named the stallion Morgunroði, an Icelandic name meaning 'morning red' and referring to a brightly coloured dawn. I rememebered the Icelandic backdrop I've got, this was the inside of the box of my trad scale Elska and is just the right size for photographing SMs of the same breed.


The foal I've named Lina, which is picked from the Icelandic names list but chosen as something which doesn't stand out obviously, because of how she doesn't look very Icelandic - it can work just as a pretty filly name of any nationality!


Next we have the paint mare and foal, a much better pairing of moulds and colours here, I think!


A nice tobiano pattern on the loping quarter horse mould - admittedly I'd have preferred masked socks seeing as they were doing masking for the patches anyway, but I've long given up hope of regular run SMs going back to sharp socks and just had to get used to the annoying blurry ones if I wanted to keep collecting them!


Such a sweet foal - I really do like the smallness of the patches, which sounds a bit strange typed out but you know what I mean, it's always good to see a nice wide variety of markings on pinto models and we don't seem to get as many with this white to colour ratio!


Third set, the new standing warmblood mould with a trotting foal, another pair where the colours don't seem all that linked!


This is my first in this mould, and in general I like it, the head is lovely especially, and I like having another plain basic standing pose when so many moulds are sculpted in action. But I can't help thinking there's something off about the hind leg/pelvis proportion or angle? I just can't put my finger on what or even where and it niggles in a most annoying way that I ought to be able to tell what I don't quite like, but can't!


Lots of the SM trotting foal seem to be aggravatingly tippy, needing blue-tacking on the shelf to avoid initiating unwanted domino effect disasters among their foaly friends, but this is one of the lucky ones who's come out of the mould really steady on her tiny feet!


And the final set, the walking thoroughbred with a scrambling foal. Yet another where the colours aren't remotely related to each other! 


I started off photographing him on the scenery I'd got set up anyway, then had a better idea - not being a normal thoroughbred colour, he either needed to go partbred or have a change of breed entirely, so I switched the backdrop, flipped the base around to the side without the grass, and gave him a little braided collar : one akhal teke! 


Though not perfect, this mould is by far the nearest we have in the SM range to the akhal teke for conformation and light wiry build, here combined with the metallic golden colour the breed is famous for. I've named him Altyn Bürgüt, meaning 'golden eagle' - reading up on Turkmen naming traditions and fashions, the names often refer to the horses' coat colour, or liken them to birds, so this seemed ideal!


Of course that meant his little bright bay filly needed a matching picture, and she even got to borrow the collar (because I forgot to make her one of her own - I'll do that later!). I've named her Damouchka, because unlike the Icelandic foal not looking Icelandic, this one's long and leggy enough to work alone as an akhal teke baby.

(P. S. This is my first blog post compiled on the new Blogger format, forgive me if anything's a bit wonky or weird; some features are clearly redesigned to work better on phones and just don't on laptops!)

6 comments:

  1. For some reason the pictures doesn't show up for me :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How strange, they don't work for me either, now - but they were definitely there when I first posted this! I'll investigate...

      Delete
    2. I've put them in again (no other changes, didn't re-upload them so it's the exact same URLs) and they're back.
      For now!
      I'll have to keep an eye on them and check if any older posts have emptied of pictures, thanks for letting me know there was some mysterious issue!

      Delete
  2. It's funny - one of the photos are showing, but none of the others are! Something that might work is that if you upload your photos straight from your computer instead of linking them from an external source. That said, I haven't used the new Blogger format so I'm not sure if that's still a thing? Going by the little I've seen of it, I must say I am not a fan. I can't even open a blog post in a different tab without it asking me if I'm sure, lol.

    That said - those stablemates are lovely! I think my favourite is the little pinto foal, I agree with you that tobianos with lots of white and tiny patches are really pretty. The TB is a close second, he looks quite good as a Teke, though I think Breyer went a bit OTT with the metallic paint there! I think he'd look lovely customised to have a roached mane. And I agree about the warmblood looking off - but I can't tell what it is that is wrong with it, either. The only thing I noticed is that the dock is set a little bit too low? But it is hard to tell without having it on hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the picture of the Icelandic on his own! I don't know why that one's not playing hide and seek like the rest. I've done a couple of draft posts, unpublished, since noticing this picture problem, and kept a close eye on how long the photos stayed there - it seems to be about 24 hours, then they go!

      I deliberately didn't want to upload my pics to blogger incase they have a limit, cos hitting an 'ok you have too many models stop now' point would've been annoying, but I'll have to try it in one of those hidden draft posts and see if it a) works in the first place and b) stays working long enough to be worth the effort. Cos even if there IS a limit and I reach it eventually, it wouldn't be for a while, and right now the prospect of being able to post for a couple of years worth of collecting is miles better than the current situation where I can only post one roan Icelandic horse and nothing else, hahah!

      I need to paint a tobiano like that, with just little bits of white. I've got a couple of reiner bodies, it'd make a good plan for a paint horse on one of those.
      The metallic IS way over the top, it's so very shiny he only really works as a Teke or the closely related breeds which have a metallic sheen (iomud, lokai, and there's a couple of others I can't remmeber the name of), it's way too much to just be a healthy-sheen gloss on a palomino. They did the same with a standardbred single OF last year, pure gold with white bits, heh

      I'm thinking dock a bit low, possibly due to the pelvis being tilted down a little so the hip/buttock/stifle triangle seems off, also not clear from the side view but when you're holding it the hind legs are very wide-set from the stifle down - I know some horses stand like that naturally, same as some stand with their hocks and fetlocks almost touching, but it seems an odd choice to make on purpose when sculpting!

      Delete
    2. Ok, test in progress : I've uploaded the pics directly into one of my draft posts and if they're still there after a couple of days I'll be able to publish it!

      Also, I mean 'little bits of colour', not 'little bits of white' on that tobiano, don't I!

      Delete