Sunday 1 March 2020

Special run Stablemates

Not new new arrivals, but a little selection of recentish OF horses who got left out when I posted Trad scale parcels and customs on here - they actually arrived from various different sellers toward the end of last year, or earlier this year.


First, Harecroft Northern Lights, a G2 warmblood in pale grey. No fleabites, which tell him apart from the Target and TJ Maxx special runs, this one was made for the World Equestrian Games in 2014 (a run of 750), and sold as a Selle Francais. I've wanted to get one ever since I first found out they'd existed, so I'm pleased to have added him to my collection.

Next, a Horse Crazy set of four, exclusive to Walmart in the USA. 
Now, I genuinely have no idea what the Horse Crazy title is about, they seem to assign it randomly to some models and not others. Some blind bags are Horse Crazy and some aren't. Some re-releases of regular runs become Horse Crazy on their second time around. Some of it's Walmart SRs, but some of it is the paint-your-own kit stuff which is sold everywhere. If anyone knows the logic to it and could explain, do leave me a comment!

For the longest time I dithered over whether to risk buying from overseas, having been hit with customs fees in the past I was put off because that would double the cost of the horses, but luckily one seller had them priced just below the cut-off value (cheap items don't incur any import and handling fees when they reach the UK), so I was able to buy them for no more than a normal 4-pack set, phew!


A gorgeous bay on the Django mould, really deep and rich in his shading. I think these ones do vary, if you look at sellers' real photos on ebay, some are very dark with no pale parts, others seem to have got a very thin coat of the brown colour and look far more golden. I think mine's just right! I've named him Harecroft Duststorm, because he reminds me of my old loan horse Dusty.


Harecroft Marshwood, the most annoying of the four purely cos of the pearly basecoat paint including his socks! If they'd just used it under his body colour, it would've looked much better and more realistic, but I do love having another example of the mould, and his beautifully shaded coat colour, so I just have to ignore disliking his feet!


Harecroft Scalloway, a bright fiesty little shetland pony stallion. Another mould I'm really fond of, it's a shame they haven't used it more for regular runs because shetlands are so popular in real life so they're bound to be loved in model form too, and there's so many brilliant colours they could've released him in.


Harecroft Souvenir, this darker grey is nice to see, I can't think of any other SMs that've been smooth mid-grey with darker points, they mostly dapple them or go paler!

Having realised I could get SMs sent safely over from the States without extra fees, I had a little browse around and found another model I really liked the look of, only to discover the postage on all of them was too expensive (at least £17, up to £30, for one SM on a card!). So the one I had my eye on went on my wishlist, and was sadly abandoned there as a 'probably never will get'. Only to pop up on UK ebay about a month later!


So here she is, the G3 highland in a really lovely softly shaded appaloosa pattern. The G2 Warmblood in this colour was one of my favourite SMs, so I was really happy to see them re-using it, and even happier to get my hands on one! Rather oddly, Breyer label this one as 'Shetland', despite it being neither the shetland mould or a colour purebred shetlands come in, so, uh... yeah. I'll show mine as a British Spotted Pony as it's a very varied breed and some of them are quite chunky with feathered heels - she's definitely a better one of those than she is a shetland pony!


She came with a little travelling companion, one of the newest blind bag Mini Whinnies, the shrunk down version of the Classic scale 'Mariah' morgan mould. I don't actively collect these (they're not much cheaper than an SM for the blind bag ones, and the rest all seem to be in playsets with buildings and stuff I don't want), but they are really nice in that inexplicable oh-it's-so-tiny-how-cute! way, so any time one happens to come my way I'm pleased to have it, anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment