Saturday 4 May 2019

Copper Django chase piece

Last week I treated myself to a whole box of last year's Stablemate blind bag mystery horses - I'd already managed to collect one of each, amazingly with only one duplicate (who had terrible overspray and so became a custom body, already repainted!), and one I decided to give in and buy as an opened bag to complete the set of eight.
But for a bargain price of under £2 per horse, I thought getting a whole case was a nice little combination of value and fun - they'd make a great body box; a refreshing change from the old increasingly tatty shoebox of blank G2 SMs! Although I do like all those older moulds very much, there's only so many you can paint before wishing for a few different breeds and poses to work with, so with last year's blind bag selection being a mix of moulds from G3 onwards, it seemed they'd be exactly that new blood I was wishing for.
And then the very first packet I opened had an odd fiery glow reflecting off the silver foil inside...



I'm not a decorator collector, not even a decorator fan, which is why I'd never cared that I didn't get the chase piece back in 2018 when people were actually chasing them, but once this shiny chap was in my hand, I had to smile. He's just quite pretty.
The coppery tone is really rich, and surprisingly I like the paintspattery masking effect, despite generally thinking it's one of Breyer's worst paint experiments that should've been left in the 1980s when they persist in using it for unfortunate 'dappled greys'. On an already totally unrealistic, non-horse colour, it kind of works. He's an artistic oddity, not trying to look like anything that happens in nature, and for that I'm instantly fond of him.
I've named him Centurion, because apparently one in four cases of 24 Stablemates contained the chase piece, and surely being one in 96 is close enough to one in 100 to give him a hundred-themed name, I never was great with numbers anyway!


I do love the Django mould, I know a lot of people have criticised his faults : narrowness, liability for moulding flaws, legginess/lack-of-chest-depth, and even his scale when compared to other breeds, all of which are perfectly valid points (although the last never has bothered me, I collect all scales so I don't care if a scale isn't consistent within itself), but I just like him anyway; such a handsome horse, a pose which captures an impressive presence and bearing, and I'm a big fan of this sculpting style over the chunkier/cuter/stylised SMs we've been seeing more of as time's gone on.

The rest of the box contained three of each model, apart from the little chestnut cob (who I call 'ponycob' cos it's way too small and cute-faced to represent a big chunky 15-hander of a cob!) which I only got two of - they had to take something out to make room for the chase piece, pity it was the mould I've not painted before instead of one of the others, but ah well, that's the thing with the whole mystery horse concept : you get what you get!

No comments:

Post a Comment