Monday 10 January 2022

Lucky Dip!

Last week I placed an order for 10 blind bag Stablemates, the Anniversary ones which are miniature versions of bigger sculpts. I've already got one of each to keep, and there's none in the selection which I really hate or have painted too many times before, so I didn't care which arrived - I thought it'd be a fun way to shake things up, and make myself paint whatever I happened to get by pot-luck from random packets.

They got here today, and I had to laugh - rather than a mixture of all eight moulds, I got two 'fours' that match - what're the odds of that happening!


I haven't painted the Connemara mould at all yet, so it's great to have four in one go and not have to narrow it down to just one colour I'd like to do most. It's also the nicest match out of any Stablemate for my real-life pony who's a mix of two native breeds, so one may have to be set aside as her (I already painted her on a foal mould, but she grew up!)

I'll always happily paint more fluffy-footed cobs, so four of those gives me plenty of options for different colour/marking combinations.

The pinto pony will be another first, and I'd been hoping to get one to customise at some point. I have my original finish example as a Chocktaw horse and they come in a wide range of base colours as well as pinto patterns, so I can have fun designing something really eye-catching and detailed.

The only one I'm wary about is the rearing stallion as it's glossy, so I'm not sure how well my paint will go over the varnish - even if I scuff the surface a bit with super fine sandpaper to help it stick, the layer of gloss might mean some of the detail of the sculpt is blurred over. But we'll see, and at least there's only one, so if I do struggle to paint him in a flattering way, I haven't got to do any more afterwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment