Sunday 12 September 2021

Harecroft Galaktika

This week sees the arrival of one of my most-wanted Breyer models.

A couple of years ago, I'd bought and paid for him on Ebay, only to be told the seller didn't have the horse any more, and although I was given a full refund, I've always regretted the failed purchase. To have decided, and paid, and be waiting a few days, then find out it's not coming after all, was a big disappointment, and every time I saw the same model afterwards, I'd feel frustrated and sad - I should've had that one in my collection, and didn't.

So when the same model came up on UK Ebay this month, I made up my mind to try again, and this time all went well; a few days later I had a very exciting parcel to unwrap.


Allow me to introduce Harecroft Galaktika, the newest Akhal-Teke stallion for my herd! His mould was sculpted as a lean racing-fit thoroughbred, but in this lovely buckskin colouring, I always thought he'd make a pretty good Teke.


He was one of 1695 made for 2019's Breyerfest, and his original release name was Rocket, after the character in Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy films - that year, Breyerfest had a horse heroes and superheroes theme. The name I've given him is the Turkmen word for 'galaxy', so it's appropriate to his change of breed and nationality, but with a nod to his original theme.


Some of these photos were taken before I'd finished making the little ornamental collars for him to wear, but I didn't re-take all the angles I wanted to show here, so the final collar vanishes and reappears a few times through this post!


He looks a bit less Akhal-Teke from the other side, with this much mane, but as I'll only be using the display-side photos on my websites and for any future showing I might do with him, the off side doesn't matter!


There, see, the collar's come back again, hah. I love his markings, especially the blaze; emphasising his nose with a wide white marking really seems to change the shape of his face.


Some Breyerfest runs are given brown or blue eye colours, but he only has the little sliver of pink eye-white, which makes him seem to be peering at you.


Laying down you can see his shading and dapples more clearly, here's a stock photo reference I found showing a real Akhal-Teke in pale dappled buckskin, with about the same amount of white on.


And finally, in dramatic lighting, just because the raking light was pretty the first time I tried to take his pictures too late one evening in the last patch of sunlight.

I'm very happy to have added this handsome chap to my herd at long last; one model I can tick off the wishlist, and no longer have any regrets about!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a big OF fan really but the shading on this one is absolutely beautiful, really subtle!
    The collars are really nice too - how did you make them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The black and gold one is just a piece of ribbon which I found in the 'pre-cut bundle for 20p' bin of a craft shop, it's solid black and thicker on the edges, with metallic woven thread for the middle stripe.
      The narrow multicolour one is just a normal three-strand plait of embroidery thread.
      The wide fancy one is thick reddish paper with the design drawn on with pen and paint, and dots of thick sticky silver acrylic which came with one of those Breyer 'paint your own unicorn' kits I bought cos I wanted the new walking TB mould! Then the tasselled ties are just more embroidery thread, stuck on the inside so you can't see the join (I didn't dare glue them incase the wet made my pen ink run, so it's got tape to hold them on!)

      Delete