Thursday 18 February 2021

Magpie Models - two new customs

Last week, I started sorting out some photographs to enter in Magpie Models' first ever official photo show.
My little herd is rather retro, as I've got left behind by new releases - all my OF Magpies are getting well toward vintage status, from the 1990s to early 2000s. And so there's a strange charm to looking through their photos again after all this time - a nostalgia for the hobby the way it used to be, the friends who used to collect alongside me, and the excitement of finding a new pony to tick off the list, or sharing newly painted customs with our little community of fans. 
I never stopped liking my Magpies, the whole herd still kept carefully on display to this day, I just stopped having an awful lot to do with them when I wasn't actively collecting, I lost my place in that discussion between collectors as the various model forums fizzled out in favour of the modern social media connections, and they never got show outings as I focused on trying to make it to just the Julip-specific events.
In short, without ever really having decided to, I'd dropped out of the Magpie community, and my herd had been, if not forgotten, then at least neglected. The closest I'd come to revisiting them had been making up a welsh shell as a portrait of my own pony, a couple of years ago.

Going through my photos again had brought back all those memories, of who I'd bought different models from, and of shows I'd taken them to in the past. The happiness of finding that rare Personality model for sale, or unwrapping an obscure one-of-a-kind and standing him among new welshie friends. For a little while, sorting out pictures, deciding who to enter in each class, remembering some names they'd come with and others I'd chosen myself, thinking 'oh, you ARE nice!' about old favourites...I was back in Magpie collector mode, enjoying them as much as ever.

And it inspired me, to go to the Miscellaneous Dusty Stuff section of my body box (which, let's face it, has never been just one box, but an assortment of different crates, boxes, piles and shelves where I keep unpainted or bargain broken/worn-out horses in need of a new coat of colour). I knew there were Magpies in there; at least two Welsh ponies and about three halves of a shetland, right? Turns out there's three welshies, less shetland pony than I thought, and a donkey in two pieces that I don't even remember buying!
I'd set them aside as needing too much prep work for now, and...abandoned them for a decade. I stopped painting at all, even the easy Stablemate bodies, so the awkward ones stood no chance. I do that kind of thing, if my inspiration or creativity crumples, I just hide from it and do nothing for unseemly amounts of time, heh.

But lately, I've been painting again. SO MUCH PAINTING. 
So, I thought, I'd embrace this little renaissance of Magpie love, and customise myself a couple of welshies. I'd love some new faces for my herd, invented little characters wearing coat colours how I paint them now, rather than how I painted fifteen years ago.
It was about time.


And here they are!
I chose two patterns I've had successful attempts with lately, as the whole point here was to do paintjobs I knew I was confident with and the Magpies deserved, rather than using up my extremely limited selection of bodies on haphazard or tentative experimental paintjobs which might not really work.


Here's a little in-progress shot - you can see I'm economical with my stupidly expensive paint by not putting any on the bits I'll be going over as white markings!


And here he is all finished, meet Harecroft North Star, who may well be my new favourite from my whole long conga of Magpie welshies.
 

I love the way he turned out, almost exactly what I had in mind when I planned him - except for the mane and tail. I didn't have any mohair long enough to make him a loose tail as I'd originally been imagining, just offcuts from my newest Julip's mane, so I used a little bunch of that for the bottom of his tail, making up the plaited top with half a cotton bud wrapped in black embroidery thread, and finished with a thread braid. The 'bud' end is still there, pushed in through the tail hole to hold it in place without even needing to risk the usual messy glue tactics. The mane is more thread, a long thick strand knotted to form the braids and glued down in one piece.


A couple more shots showing all of his markings, and then on to the next introduction...


Harecroft Thorn of Camorr (a name I've had on my ideas list for a very long time without any pony to fit it!), a British Spotted Pony.


Why an appaloosa pattern? Because I've never painted one on a Magpie before, this colour has been going well for me lately, and he could then be a breed which suits being shown plaited up. Because again, I wanted to do the braided cotton bud tail and thread mane - although I had a long enough hank of this mixed grey mohair to make a loose mane and tail, I hate handling it with glue, making a right mess of myself, the mohair, and the paintwork on the horse I'm trying to hair. Avoiding the model-spoiling, and general stressy horror of glue based hairing, was a major deciding factor in picking this breed over a British native which need to be loose and natural!


I seem to have lost his front-angle shot, but here's one of his other side so you can see all the spots, anyway.

There's one more welsh pony in the body box. I've re-glued his split seams, filed and smoothed them, and he's waiting for a colour idea to strike. And then there's the pieces of shetland, once I've found a pair of both sides rather than two matching lefts. And I'm sure I can do something with this halved donkey...

3 comments:

  1. Ahh these are so nice! I so enjoy popping into your blog and seeing your new customs + reading your posts about them, it's a joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear it, it tends to take wayyy too much time sorting pictures and writing the posts, so it's good to know some readers are actually enjoying my efforts!

      I'm also wondering if having the blog is encouraging me to paint MORE, cos I have this extra something to do with the finished models now I have somewhere to put them.
      I've definitely painted more since having the blog here than I ever did before, but that could be co-incidence rather than evidence that writing about them is the cause of so many happening, heh

      Delete
    2. Well if the blog is the reason you're painting more it's definitely a good thing :D It's nice to have the opportunity and take the time to read all about them too rather than just having quick short captions which are so common on social media :)

      Delete