Monday 25 January 2021

Tales from the Body Box - Wee Wyakin

One of the things which must feel familiar to most people who paint model horses is the guilt that comes with having long-unpainted bodies. You know the ones. You really, really wanted them at the time - a fantastic example of your absolute favourite breed, or one you'd always wanted and never had chance to buy before? Maybe you took pity on a damaged horse, or fell for the real-life backstory behind a resin, and couldn't resist. Or perhaps they were in a charity sale and your heart was behind the cause. 

The International Blessed Broodmare Project was that worthy cause for a lot of collectors - over a decade ago now the hobby pulled together to help rehome hundreds of horses from the defunct PMU industry, by supporting the dedicated work of Animali Farm. Mostly mares, many pregnant, their plight struck home for our community of horse lovers, with money desperately needed to pay medical testing and shipping fees so the horses could be adopted into caring new homes before they were sold for slaughter.
Artists painted donation models, sculptors sold their own unpainted resins, there were live show raffles, online auctions, fundraiser shows, and all sorts. I remember running a photo show and when I sent in the total raised, told them simply 'put it toward whichever horse you think needs it most', and received a lovely email some time later telling me our money had gone toward homing the piebald draft stallion, King.

The other day, I picked out a half forgotten, wholly neglected horse from my hidden stash of resin bodies : Wee Wyakin, by Michelle Platt. But didn't remember the circumstances of buying her til I checked my notebook, where beside her name, I'd scribbled down 'TIBBP charity model'.
I think, and I'm not too sure after all this time, that she may have come over direct from America (I know my big Aalef resin, by the same sculptor, was also a TIBBP purchase), though it's possible from the vagueness of my note that someone here in the UK sold or auctioned her for the charity.

Either way, she'd come to join my herd, and raised a bit of money toward the PMU mares on her way here.
And here's where the guilt comes in.
Despite loving the resin, I'd tucked her away safely to paint 'later' because she was a little big when I only felt up to tackling Stablemates, and then for a long while, I didn't feel like painting any models at all.
So she gathered dust. A whole thick fuzzy coat of 10 years' worth of it all down one side. So many colourful Wee Wyakins out being enjoyed in the world, and one blank one being ignored, patiently waiting for her paint.

Well, she doesn't have to wait any longer, here at last I can introduce Mishawaka, the long lost copy of dear little Wee Wyakin!


She was always going to be spotted, as I remember her sculptor writing about the real appaloosa mare the original Trad scale Wyakin was based on, but I admit my early imaginings of her paintjob were much paler in colour, either a chestnut or the sandier shades of dun. Only, I've done some blanket spotted Stablemates lately, and found the pattern and roaning stood out in a far more distinct and effective way with a darker base colour, so decided to go for the one which had looked best of all in mini scale.


Her name has no profound and carefully chosen relevant literal meaning - this morning I had a parcel arrive from an American bookstore recycling and rehoming ex library books (the only place I could find an affordable copy of a slightly obscure book about the history of cormorants, which I've wanted for aaaages!), and it was sent from a place called Mishawaka, Indiana. It just seemed to suit her, and work well as a horse name - you can imagine it being shortened to Misha as her barn name, and a long sing-song Miiiiiii-shaaaaa when calling her from a dozing spot under her favourite tree!


Because this is definitely a horse for whom napping under shady trees is a high priority in life! I love the many models of horses at peak fitness in proud showring or athletic poses as much as anyone, but there's a special place in my heart for the ones which just look ordinary. That much-loved backyard pony, that broodmare aging gracefully, or that lazy happy hacker  - the horses which look laid-back and kind and like they've no ambitions of ever winning a rosette but maybe I could have an apple if I ask nicely?'


One of the nicest things about working a slightly bigger scale than usual is how much more detailing can be done, like all the pink speckling on Misha's face here


She did look rather nice before I added spotting, and I briefly considered leaving her as a snowcap appaloosa, but having had spots in mind for such a long time, I think I'd have regretted not including them after all.

I love how she turned out - there's a long delayed satisfaction in having wanted her so much at the time, and liking her so much now she's done. Welcome to the herd, Mishawaka!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Ah, thank you! I do love her already - just like real horses, some models you just click with!

      Delete
  2. Oh she's so gorgeous! Stunning work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She's such a sweetie, I'm kind of glad I waited til my painting was at a level to do her justice (and got her coloured before I go off the boil and have another ten year gap, hahah)

      Delete